Friday, June 03, 2005

Hi folks…

I’m deep in the middle of yet another project and will be away from the keyboard (internet-wise) for the next several days.

I’d intended to write something witty and profound for today, but, the time has just not been there this week. Such is the life of a contract programmer! Seems we always have ‘one more’ thing to do and not enough time to do everything.

If I get a minute, and have internet access, I’ll be sure to drop in and give you an update on what’s happening. Other than that, and to thank you all for continuing to visit, read and leave such wonderful thoughts, I don’t have much else to say. (I know… hard to believe huh?)

I do have something I’d been thinking about though, and I thought I’d leave you with my thoughts on it so far.

Living in fear…

That’s what people in many countries do everyday. I’m not talking about irrational fear, or fear of falling, spiders or snakes, no; I’m talking about fearing for their lives. They’re not protected, but instead intimidated by the power structure in their own country.

Why am I thinking about, and therefore writing about this? Well, a few days ago at work a few of us were talking while waiting on a conference call, and one of the folks wondered out loud “Why don’t the people in Iraq just turn in the terrorists?”

A fairly lively ummm discussion followed, that was cut short as the call arrived. We never revisited the conversation, as we all had work to do, but I was left wondering why that individual had no clue.

It dawned on me as I was driving home, that, most folks in this country don’t have a clue. No clue how it feels to not be able to speak their mind without a very real fear of life threatening repercussions. No clue how that sort of fear permeates everything, especially when it’s been in place for several generations. No clue that it’s nearly impossible to let go of it, as it’s all you’ve ever really known… Letting go of that fear, for them, is as difficult as us letting go of the freedoms we enjoy. Almost unimaginable.

That’s why the average person in Iraq doesn’t “step up”, they don’t know who they can trust, if stepping up will get them killed or worse their family killed. We don’t have a clue how that feels.

I see it much like we didn’t have a clue, back here in the states, what it was like to be in WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam… especially Vietnam. That was the first truly ‘non-conventional’ opposing force this country had ever faced. Uniformed opponents were rare; instead, any and everyone ‘could’ be the enemy and often was. Men, women and children were all recruited for the cause. We, back here in the states, simply could not fathom that, let alone understand it.

I know freedom has a price, and the price is often paid in lives. I’m sure you all know that as well. We all know that because it’s the culture we live in, it’s what we’ve been taught since we were very young. I have trouble imagining what it must be like living in a world that’s 180 degrees removed from the one I know, do you?

It’s times like these, and conversations like the one that started me thinking about this, that make me thankful I was born in a country that provides the freedoms and opportunities mine does. I may, or may not, agree with what the government is doing on any particular day or issue, but the beauty is, I have the right to agree, or disagree, and to do so as publicly as I want to.

Anyway… that’s my thought… and I said far more than I really had time for!! I’m already going to be late for my first meeting today!!

Oh, one last item… That magazine that said they might put my article in the September issue? Well, it seems it’s a ‘done deal’ now! In addition, the editor sent me their ‘calendar’ for the next year, and said she would “love it” if I’d write some additional articles!! I’m very excited and expect to put something together for each issue, and we’ll see if this was a ‘fluke’ or if I’ve got some staying power!!

Again, thanks for reading.. your thoughts, comments and ideas are always welcome!

10 comments:

jenbeauty said...

Wow great news on the article being published!!

Also, I was hoping I could link you to my blog. I like to ask permission before doing so. If you mind it is not a problem. I really enjoy your thoughts Bill!

Karyn Lyndon said...

Contrats!!! That's awesome news...what magazine and what article???

Risu said...

Yes, more details pertaining to this article are required. Many congratulations!

Patrick M. Tracy said...

Bill,

First, congrats on the article.

You're right about not being able to fathom the emotional component of being fearful all the time. We like to think that we'd choose death over that plight, but we don't have to make that choice. With all its faults, the good old US of A still kicks ass.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Congratulations, Bill! The quality of writing in your blog is consistently high, both in content and delivery, so it's really no surprise that someone would want to pay you for your words. The only downside is that all of us will have to pay to read you now! LOL (So tell us about the mag so that we can start chucking our pennies your way!)

Fear is a terrible thing that is cold, heavy and constant in those who suffer it, but freedom is the easiest thing in the world to take for granted. So, thanks for the difficult but worthy reminder.

Cylithria Dubois said...

Bill - I have never read such eloquence on such an almost 'dirty' topic. You are right, people born in this country often time's dont truly realize how much fear other citizens of this world live in. (That was a generality and i know some Americans do realize) Well said My Friend!!

Congratulations On the article publication. I want an autographed copy ;) So I can say I knew you when.... :)

Trevor Record said...

See you in 6 days, Bill.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the article, Bill. Is it about programming? At any rate, give us the name of the magazine and article, please.

I like your piece on freedom. Most people in the United States don't seem very good at putting themselves in other peoples' shoes.

Lois Lane said...

Congratulations. It's about time someone handed out dough for your words! :)
Lois Lane

Bill said...

Jen: Please feel free to link my site from yours!

To everyone: I'm back and I'll answer your questions a little later today.

First, thank you all for your kind words. I just write what's on my mind, knowing you all appreciate that is extremely gratifying and inspires me to continue.

But, right now I have a whole mess of Yellow Fin tuna to make into steaks! I'll post more about the weekend and such later today.